WELCOME to my ART & STUDIO BLOG

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Crayons, India Ink, and a little Snorkeling Fun...



I love to snorkel among the little fishies - especially when the water is warm and I'm surrounded by sun, sand, and palm trees! One of my favorite places to go, even if it is quite touristy, is a little beach on the dry side of the Big Island of Hawaii called Kahalu'u Beach Park. The best part for me is that I don't have to deal with a bunch of surf (unlike my surf lovin' husband - not might forte) and can easily just float around and see a lot of fish and even a few green sea turtles! (Especially if you go early in the day.) The only concerns from my latest trip - a recent tiger shark sighting and nesting Triggerfish (apparently they bite when in this mode). At least a helicopter fly-by confirmed the shark had moved on... but I swear those Triggerfish (aka Humuhumunukunukuāpuaa) were after me!

As long as I was visiting these lovely Hawaiian waters AND I had an outstanding request for a fish painting series, I decided to practice my hand at drawing the little reef dwellers while I was there. With my sketchbook in hand, a guide book for reference, a handy box of 64 Crayola Crayons, my favorite India Ink pen, and No 2 pencil, I went to work! Here's a few of the results. I hope you enjoy - I know I did! (And look for the "16 Fish" series coming very soon)







3 comments:

Kimberly Vanlandingham said...

What fun colorful sketches! I can swim, but I'm a bit afraid of water. I don't really get the desire to snorkel like some. I bet it was amazing!

Ridgely said...

I LOVE these fish Jenny! So glad you got to make another trip to the Islands! Does this mean the sheep lost? :(

Jennifer Lommers said...

Thanks Kimberly and Ridgely!

And yes, the sheep lost... but only temporarily. They'll be showing up a little later this year!

Best! Jennifer

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online