WELCOME to my ART & STUDIO BLOG

Monday, January 10, 2011

The Return of the Nude

Thanks to the enticement of participating in the "Unclad" show at the Stanwood Gallery, Gallery by the Bay - I have returned to the art of the Nude. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have a piece ready for this year's show, but here's my start with hopes of having a painting ready for the show next year. If you haven't been to this show, I would highly recommend it. It's a lovely location with an amazing selection of art and artists.



"In Contemplation"
Mixed Media on Paper
$45.00
Available on Etsy

It's been several years since my college days and "Life Drawing" classes, but it feels good to consider this beautifully natural form again. Admittedly, when I walked into my first class with a nude model (in the late 80s at the age of 19, mind you) propped up on a platform with lights highlighting every feature, an art instructor carefully directing the pose and props (pillows, vases, draping velvet), I did have to struggle to keep from giggling. For this mild mannered girl from the sticks it was certainly a scene I had never experienced, but one I learned to appreciate far beyond my teenage imagination. Once I started drawing and painting the human form I was awed by it's interesting and provocative lines and shapes. The human body is certainly a work of art, and I felt fortunate to have the opportunity to study it then, and again now.

March 12 - March 27, 2011
Gallery by the Bay
Stanwood, WA

2 comments:

Onewithwings said...

This is a very nice piece! I am just now starting to study the figure (after a few awkward attempts at drawing it without understanding it first!) It is fascinating, for sure. I plan to draw every day in order to improve my take on the human figure. :)

Jennifer Lommers said...

It definitely pays to draw daily! Best wishes on your studies!

Jennifer

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online