WELCOME to my ART & STUDIO BLOG

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A New Large Original OIL Painting!

"In All Things We Find Ourselves"
Oil on Canvas
48 x 48 x 1.5 inches
$2800
available on ETSY

It's hard to believe it's been almost 20 years...

since I painted in OIL. Wow.

After having been a professional acrylic artist for the last 6 years, here are some things I re-discovered.
  1. Oils take a REALLY long time to dry - especially when you paint with full pigment, as I usually do, with just a little walnut oil here and there (thanks for the tip and the free samples, M. Graham folks! It seems forever to the likes of an acrylic artist!
  2. If I was planning to paint again the next day, I could just leave my palette out and brushes in the walnut oil and I was good to go for my paint session the next day. No waste of this paint! (And before you gasp in horror at my poor paint brushes, I do the same thing with acrylic brushes in water, so go ahead and gasp twice for those of you diligent about keeping a perfect brush tip.)
  3. Oils have beautiful color and shine. Thanks to the great work of fine art paint manufacturers such as Dan Smith, though, they aren't nearly as different from acrylics as they used to be.
  4. After years of acrylic painting, and not worrying about the paint getting everywhere, on myself included, I was an oil painting MESS. I would find smudges of oil paint everywhere after a painting session. With acrylics, I would just rub my hands together, make sure they felt dry, and off I'd go. Hmmm. I may have to become a little neater if/when I do this again.
  5. Blending, even days later, was simple and fun. Nothing like acrylics. What fun!
  6. I need to get some decent gloves!
I hope you enjoy the fruits of my labor. And if you haven't tried oils for awhile, go ahead and make a mess and have some fun!

Now back to the acrylic painting I started this morning. It should be plenty dry for another layer of paint!

(for more about the progression of this painting, see my earlier blog post HERE)





10 comments:

kg said...

This is beautiful!! And would be perfect above my mantel :) I just wanted to leave a comment, I received a print of yours from my mom for Christmas and love your work! I grew up in Corvallis (where my parent's still are), since- moved to the South. Oils are my first passion, but with the mess and fumes and little kids...I'm letting photography be my creative outlet for now. I hope to see some of your work in person when I'm in Corvallis in March, do you have a studio/gallery where I can look? Sorry for the long comment :)
-Kim

Jennifer Lommers said...

Thanks Kim! I totally understand moving away from oils. I originally switched to acrylics because after college my tiny little living space was my only studio space and I couldn't have the smell and mess there. I have stayed with them as I've learned to love them, and now since I have kids and a studio still in my home (larger space, so could actually designate some for an oils easel) I just find it much easier. Which answers your other question - I'm still pining for studio space, but have just found it easier to keep it in the house with the kids. You are welcome to stop by, though. Feel free to email me if you're in the area!

art@jenniferlommers.com

Sara Montague Miller said...

beautiful!

Jennifer Lommers said...

Thanks Sara!

Amanda Makepeace said...

Great post!! It's been years and years since I painted in oils. I really enjoyed reading your experience. :) I've added this to the EBSQ Friday Five.

Jennifer Lommers said...

Thanks Amanda!

sherrykey said...

Beautiful Jennifer! I have dabbled a few times but that's about it...(-: The jury is still out for me on using oils.

Kimberly Vanlandingham said...

Your work is so lively!! I just found you on the EBSQ site. Congrats on making the Friday Five!

Jennifer Lommers said...

Thanks Sherry & Kimberly!

And Sherry, I understand! It helps that I was trained in oils, so I at least knew that I used to know what I was doing! :-) They seemed so natural for me to use back then. I have to remember that it was 4 years of college, and I've since been painting full time in acrylics the last 6 years, so as much as I might not want to admit it I'm...

a) getting old... er.
b) have far more experience with acrylics now than oils!

work in clay said...

Yummy layers and scratch-throughs! Something harder to do in acrylic, tho know it's possible.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online