WELCOME to my ART & STUDIO BLOG

Monday, August 2, 2010

Inspiration in Unlikely Places


I am often asked where I get my inspiration for painting, which is funny to me since when I look at my paintings it seems obvious. And for the most part I can easily answer... "on my many hikes/walks observing the wonders of nature." (Or something like that).


Recently, however, I found a new place for inspiration that would be much less obvious - one I never would have expected: The Rice Museum of Rocks and Minerals near Portland, OR. We took the kids there over the weekend and were amazed by the size and variety of their collection. I also was struck by the amazing colors created by nature, and their natural cohesion. I loved the way reds mixed with earthy greens, blues mixed with rich golds and browns, and so many other lovely combinations. The patterns formed within the rocks, too, were some of the best abstracted works of art I've had the pleasure to witness - not too sound to gooey here, but they were really cool!

Here's a couple shots I especially enjoyed. I'm planning to go back and take some more pictures, as I realized much too late in the process how much I'd like to turn them into paintings.



Have fun finding your next inspiration! And if you're in the area, I would highly recommend the Rice Museum (especially the Rainbow Room!)

p.s. My photos do NOT do them justice! I'm definitely a painter, not a photographer.

2 comments:

AK said...

Jennifer your work is very interesting. very creative and very inspiring.

Cassandra Kiss said...

That's wonderful : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online