WELCOME to my ART & STUDIO BLOG

Monday, June 14, 2010

Designing a New Print Basket - Attempt No 1

Finished Print Bin
Some Improvements Needed (note the cardboard slipping out)
But not bad for my first try!


For those of you who have followed my artistic path on my blog, you'll know that I travel to my shows packing everything into my Prius. As a result, if I want to bring more product to my shows, I need to eliminate some of the bulkier items. Also, with flying to Chicago this year for a show, I needed something light and easy to ship in which to present my prints (among many other logistical issues...)

So - I decided to create fabric print bins with cardboard supports. Even though I'm very good at visualizing what I want - figuring out how to sew it together is NOT my forte! Thanks goodness I have a mom who knows how to sew everything (and then some).

With her advice, I made a small model on graph paper and cut it out, taping it together to see how it would work. My mom then went about making a small sample with fabric while I wrote down each step that she took. Then, we enlarged it to actual size, making a paper pattern.

I went home with pattern, fabric, and instructions - and here's what this non-sewer made!

Not bad, but I definitely plan some improvements and simplifications to the design. I hope to have several ready before my big trip. If it all works out, I'll post the pattern here!

3 comments:

Pam said...

You and your mom are a creative problem solving team!

Amanda Makepeace said...

Wow!! Definitely bookmarking this. You're in the EBSQ Friday Five. :)

Jennifer Lommers said...

Thanks Pam and Amanda!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online