WELCOME to my ART & STUDIO BLOG

Monday, March 29, 2010

Ahhh, the age of technology!

"Lemon Tree" - take 1 (scanned image)

After scanning in my latest lemon tree painting (which takes me over an hour because I'm scanning a 20x20x1.5 inch canvas using a 9x13 inch scanner and need about 8 scans to piece a completed image together) I realized I was only really excited about 1/2 of the painting (the right half). I love the impressionistic glint of sunshine on the tree leaves as they just melt into a yellow sky. Something about the top left and bottom left lemons bothered me, though, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Since I already had the painting scanned into the computer I thought, "hey, I can play with it on the computer to see if I can fix what I don't like and THEN paint it to match." Sounds plausible.

So, after trying purple, blue, yellow, and green for my lemons and adding a little leafy interference to the bottom 2 lemons - here is the "fixed" version showing how I would like to paint it.

"Lemon Tree" - take 2 (digitally manipulated image)

So - off I go to paint! And one thing about how I paint - if one part of the painting gets changed - it suddenly affects the rest of the painting. I managed to keep my adjustments minor, however, mostly just adding a little more of the blue to the bottom of the painting to bring a little more light and sky into it.

I haven't yet scanned in the new painting, but here is a comparison of the previous painting (scanned) and the new painting (photographed). The photographed image doesn't quite show the yellows correctly, but you get the idea!

BEFORE


AFTER


BEFORE


AFTER

FINISHED! I think...

"Lemon Tree"


Well, it didn't really end up a LOT like the edits I made on the computer, but making changes to the color and design digitally gave me the confidence I needed that I could make a better painting without losing what I loved about it.

Next time you're in a creative funk - give it a try! See what your painting may look like with a paint bucket at your fingertips.

2 comments:

Sarah Adams said...

Hi there! I am in love with your lemon tree BEFORE painting and was wondering if you sell prints?? I would love it for my kitchen!!! If so, what are your prices? Feel free to email me at adamssa4@gmail.com.
My name is Sarah and I'd love to hear from you!! You are a FABULOUS artist!

Sarah Adams said...

Hi there! I am in love with your lemon BEFORE picture and was wondering if you sell prints?? I would love this for my kitchen!!! If so, what are your prices? Thank you so much! You are a WONDERFUL artist!!!

Sarah Slayton

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online