WELCOME to my ART & STUDIO BLOG

Monday, February 8, 2010

Pondering my Latest Painting...

Prints Available on Imagekind


"Above it All"
30 x 40 x 1.5 inches
Original Acrylic on Canvas
$2200






I love studio time. The ACTUAL studio time. You know, the time that I am actually painting! When I'm in that moment, I am completely in the paint, in the painting. My surroundings are gone. My to do list is obsolete. I am an artist, and only an artist, color and texture flying. Wet paint brushes piling up in my jar for rinsing. Paint tubes disappearing. THAT is studio time, and I love it. On a good day, I can get 3-4 hours of this uninterrupted bliss. Those are my favorite days.

Since I try to keep as much of my studio time as actual paint time, when I'm in the middle of a painting I still need to find time to contemplate it. I find this crucial step in the creative process is often misunderstood. I will be staring at a painting and will often get the confused questions... "What are you looking at?", "Is it done?", "What are you doing???"

Well, I'm contemplating my painting! I'm thinking about the colors, the shapes, the composition, the layers, how would it be better or have a clearer message. I am simply looking and thinking and adjusting in my mind so that I'll know where to go during my next painting session.

So... where do I find the time for this critical step in a busy day? In my family room, of course! I find putting my latest piece on display at home in a room where I spend most of my personal time gives me plenty of time to sit back, relax, and stare!

I hope you enjoy the results of my latest contemplation - "Above It All"


3 comments:

thewillowsnest said...

This looks great! Yep once I drove my latest finished painting in the front seat of my car so I could 'gaze at it' while I picked my son up from school! I know the feeling!

I loved your little gel medium tutorial too!

Jennifer Lommers said...

Thanks! Yes, "gaze" is the perfect word. That's what we do while we ponder...

And thanks! These birdies were applied with the same technique. I has some other large works in progress with more complicated layering of that process right now, and I can't wait to work on them some more! It is a great method for forcing me to be more patient with my paintings.

Thanks for stopping by!

Jennifer

Lupen Grainne said...

wonderful new painting !!
your house must be full of so much beauty :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online