WELCOME to my ART & STUDIO BLOG

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Painters of Etsy (POE) Part IV: A Treasury Showcase of Talent!

PAINTERS OF ETSY PART IV




I found it interesting during the last painting class I taught how difficult it was for me to express how to load up a paint brush with a lot of pure paint and apply it thickly. It is one reason I like to introduce the palette knife as a painting method, as it's a little easier to understand that "painterly" concept using something with less accuracy.

For my latest POE (Painters of Etsy) treasury, I focused on those artists who like to load up the paint and create interest with layers and texture. It was difficult for me to choose these paintings - I couldn't find a lot of artists using these techniques. I also tried to look at the overall quality of the artist's Etsy shop to see if there is consistency to their work as well as a nice "look" to their shop (images that weren't all blurry or with flash marks from their camera; a decent banner; a focus on original art). This too, was difficult. It made me realize how many people of varying skill levels are selling paintings on Etsy. Also, how many different styles are available on Etsy. It made me appreciate the art galleries that sell high quality art, and how many portfolios they must reject, and how they might quantify the art they choose.

Not to worry if I DIDN'T choose your Etsy shop, however, I may have just missed it! (Or, already featured you a few times and tried to get some new people showcased).

I hope you enjoy my "painterly" painter choices!


FEATURED ARTISTS

JoAnneWare.etsy.com
rshelly.etsy.com
rawarts.etsy.com
Furiousdreams.etsy.com
artforfood.etsy.com
brianelston.etsy.com
KathyMortonStanion.etsy.com
HamjArt.etsy.com
siiso.etsy.com
pamelam.etsy.com
shevanthi.etsy.com
rozinga.etsy.com

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks Jennifer. I picked up a few more painters to favorite and follow.

Victoria Webb said...

Jennifer, thanks so much for featuring my 'Rubble Creek' painting. You're correct that I love working fast and loose, and often use a palette knife myself.

But sometimes these paintings can evolve slowly, even when I'm using that technique. This one came from a sketch I'd done on site- in front of a glacier slide in British Columbia.

A lovely treasury, thanks!

Adrian said...

Jen, funny that you mention this style of painting, just this weekend I went to a modern art gallery where the feature artist did just that, thick layers of paint to add texture and dimension to the piece.

Jennifer Lommers said...

Wow - that's so funny! But not unexpected - I was trained by a bunch of modern abstract expressionists, so I definitely appreciate this style. Wish I could have been there to see the show too!

Best wishes!

Jen

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online