WELCOME to my ART & STUDIO BLOG

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

How Long Does it Take to Make a Painting?


"Early Morning Together"
Acrylic on Canvas
16 x 20 x 1.5 inch
SOLD


I often get this question. "How long does it take?" It sounds like a simple question, but the answer isn't quite so. Each painting I make has it's own life. It's own destiny, often over which I have no control (or at least feel like I don't have control). Sometimes I can whip out a 16 x 20 inch painting in a couple hours having that satisfied "that's it" feeling. Sometimes it takes days and days (or longer if I set it aside to ruminate). This little bird pair, for example, may be vaguely familiar to those of you who saw me start it at the Everett Fresh Paint Show a couple weeks ago. It seemed to come together quite quickly (often my demonstration pieces do), but then it swerved out of control and needed to rest for a few days. The birds actually made their debut as a couple of indistinct red blobs amongst many other red blobs. From there they went back and forth between red, tan, yellow, red again, and in the very end... green. Their tree was full of green foliage. Their sky was blue, white, yellow, grey, and yellow-green again. The coral flowers were many, then few, and then almost rubbed out completely. Their feathers were ruffled. Their plumes blended into the background. The tree limbs were drawn and re-drawn many times. There was writing, and then just grey. I added paint, rubbed it out, added more. Then suddenly the birds just jumped out at me. They were done. A last touch up to the sky to even out the composition and then "that's it". Sometimes that's just how it happens. If you asked me "how long did it take?" it would be hard to say... but let's go with about 10 hours plus years of experience drawing and painting birds.

... and remember - SHIPPING within the U.S. is always FREE when purchasing original art from my blog!

Fine Art Quality Giclee Reproductions of this piece
unframed, framed, on canvas and paper
Available on Imagekind!


3 comments:

babbler said...

Your artwork is very moving. I was just clicking around the blogs and found yours. I just had to make a comment! Have a fun day today, from the beautiful central Oregon coast, Love, Mrs. Slug

Jennifer Lommers said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://ogetewiquf.100freemb.com/ucakut.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online