WELCOME to my ART & STUDIO BLOG

Monday, May 4, 2009

Camas in Bloom ORIGINAL Painting


"Camas in Bloom"
Acrylic & India Ink on Canvas, 11 x 14 x 1.5 inch
2009
$265.00









Let me tell you about the making of this painting: I decided to hike into a wooded area to look for a nice quiet shady spot to paint. My day wasn't going as planned, and I wasn't in the best of moods, so I blame what happens next on sheer distractedness (a new word I just made up for this occasion!) I spotted some lovely purple Camas flowers growing along a riverbank. There was even a bench nearby so that I could sit while painting. As I was setting up I realized I forgot to bring water along for thinning the paint and rinsing out my brushes. I briefly thought about going back that short 1/4 mile and getting some water, but I was already in a mood and looking forward to a painting session to smooth out my ruffled feathers. So, I decided to carefully step down the riverbank and scoop a bit of river water. What the heck. I didn't realize until much too late that the last sloped step before getting down to the water was extremely slimy mud. Needless to say, I slipped on the mud and covered the entire left side of my body with it while also soaking my feet in the river. Not to be discouraged, I scooped up my water, picked myself up ever so carefully, and plodded back up the riverbank to my painting. It was just the wake-up call I needed to get me focused on the present, and forget my foolish fowl mood.

So... while muddy and wet, I am proud to say I painted this piece. And I love it. I hope you enjoy too!

Fine Art Quality Giclee Reproductions of this piece
unframed, framed, on canvas & paper
Available on Imagekind!




For more information about buying my ORIGINAL paintings online, please see my blog post HERE!

3 comments:

artslice said...

Ha! What a funny story... it was worth it thought, because this one is so beautiful! Do you use a water-soaked sponge palette? (can't remember the name but they have a lid that snaps on to keep the acrylics moist.)

Jennifer Lommers said...

Thanks! I don't use anything special with my palette. I paint fast enough and the air in the Pacific NW is moist enough that I don't find it necessary except for the hottest days. If I was in a hot dry climate, I might have to consider it... either that or bringing out the oils!

Thanks again!

modernemotive said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog Jennifer. Yes, catching a unleashed Husky is NOT fun!

Lovely work btw. Hope to see you again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online