WELCOME to my ART & STUDIO BLOG

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

More Whimsical Birds... and Ravens?

I received my first bird book from my parents when I was 9 while we were camping on the Oregon Coast. We watched the Ranger program on local birds and even though we didn't have much money, I was so excited about bird-watching that my parents bought me a birding book. I still have that book with all its checkmarks showing which birds I found over my childhood. It's falling apart - missing the back page and being held together by a rubber band, but it is still well loved. I can't thank my parents enough for giving me this childhood treasure which has since inspired such a staple of my artwork. I don't necessarily paint specific birds, but pull from the different shapes, movements, and colors of the birds I see to make my own whimsical little versions. While in college I drew and painted many ravens, but since returning to art after several years in the computer/business "real" world I favor the little backyard birds that I enjoyed as a kid - chickadees, goldfinch, wrens, sparrows, robins, and so many more. I think the dark brooding raven side of me was left behind with my old job! Although those ravens may be calling... they just appear to act so human. I'm intrigued again.

2 comments:

Debra said...

Oh I love watching birds. My duaghter is only 11 and she loves watching them too.

Jennifer Lommers said...

My kids love it too. I would highly recommend a birding book that allows for checking off birds you see (if you haven't already done that). It's so fun for the kids! Thanks for posting Debra!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online