WELCOME to my ART & STUDIO BLOG

Friday, January 23, 2009

Traveling Progression of a Painting


My original painting, shown here (on left) during a "featured artist" 2008 showing at the Skagit Valley Hospital in Mount Vernon, WA is titled "The Onion Field". I always felt a little bad about this painting, as I rushed it for the show and just tried to give it the flavor of my other pieces in that show from my "Growing in the Valley" series of paintings.

Over time I felt like the colors and composition in this painting were not portraying the garden like I wanted. I tried turning the painting different ways to see if a new view would change my heart, but I finally decided to give it a little re-work - and, as usual, it turned into a major re-work. As a part of my end of the year "painting a day" promo, I decided to see what I could do. Here's the results.



Even though I especially liked the interior workings of the floral shapes, I once again felt I rushed it, and decided to give it another go. I now love the layers that were created in this piece with the texture and some color from the previous attempts at this painting showing thru. With finally deciding on red as the main color of the piece, I thought it fitting to submit it in a Valentine themed show.

Here's the final piece with it's red valentine flair - off to hang at the H'arts Charity Auction for the Snohomish Arts Council February 28, 2009.



I will be at the auction in person to see how this final version is accepted. I hope to see you there!

2 comments:

Blenda said...

Beautiful painting, Jennifer. My favorite color, red! Hope it does well for you at the auction.

Jennifer Lommers said...

Thanks! I ordered the mat for framing it today - so I'm kind of excited to see it all finished for the show.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online